Monday, June 17, 2013

An introduction

I remember once my great-grandmother saying, "the minutes creep and the years fly."


At the time she was in her early 90's.  Her mind was still sharp, but she struggled physically.  A widow in her last years, she spent most of every day sitting in a chair, watching TV, and hoping for visitors.  Time probably had never moved so slowly for her.

At the time, I was probably a Junior or Senior in high school.  Even then I knew what she meant. Or at least I understood as much as a 17 or 18 year old could understand.

Since then, I've heard many variations of that same adage.  As you age, it becomes a common theme, especially if you're raising children.  When trying to come up with a name for this space, "minutes and years" perfectly captured the sentiment of what I want to accomplish.  As I trudge through the hard days, I want a space to reflect.  I want a space where I can capture moments, and freeze them.  I hope to share the very realness of my days, instead of only passing along a handful of memories that have been romanticized with time.  I want a place where I can look back at these minutes, as the years are flying.

At the moment, I am a mother to two boys.  The Biscuit is four, and the Bean just turned two.  I also am expecting our third child in 12 short weeks.  I am the wife to a dentist, who is in a lot of ways my total opposite, but is by all accounts one of the best human beings on the planet.  At the moment I am working full time.  In an effort to slow down the pace of our lives, I made the excruciating decision to quit a job I enjoy, and after our baby is born I will be at home full time.  I realize what a blessing it is that I even have the opportunity to make such a decision.

I will apologize in advance because I am not a writer.  In fact, I'm an accountant - which is sort of the opposite of a writer.  I will also apologize in advance because this is a selfish endeavor.  There are a million mommy-blogs out there.  This one will not offer anything different or unique.  Except it will be my stories and images.

I welcome you to follow along as the minutes creep and the years fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment