Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Hard Days

 I planned for the subject of my next post to be all about my love of photography, and introduce a day-in-the-life type series.  Documenting the everyday moments of our days with pictures has been one of things I looked forward to the most when I quit my job.  Over the past six or seven weeks, I tried to document a handful of my days with pictures.  I never got past breakfast.  Kid you not.  So now I have a lot pictures of breakfast.

These are hard days.  Not bad days.  Just hard.

Today the Bug is 7 weeks old.  It's a good thing he's so cute, because he is not an easy baby.  He is just never content.  So there is either a lot of holding going on or a lot of crying. I usually opt for a lot of holding, which makes doing anything else hard (especially writing blog posts or entertaining big brothers).

I mentioned in my last post that the Biscuit was having a hard time adjusting.  He is doing a lot better, but we still have our struggles.  His schedule changed in October, and he only goes to school part time.  For the first time in his 4.5 years, he is not at daycare all day.  I was so excited to be able to spend some time at home with him before he starts kindergarten next  year.  However, I'm not sure the timing is so great.  I spend 90% of my time at home caring for the Bug.  I'm either nursing him, holding him trying to get him to settle down, or trying to get him to sleep.  So it's hard to find time to do things with the Biscuit during out time together at home.  It leaves me feeling fairly guilty.

One of the first weeks the Biscuit was home with me I'd planned to have pancakes for dinner.  Biscuit loves to help me in the kitchen.  He was so excited about helping with the pancakes.  At some point I realized it was not going to be a good day for pancake making.  When I told him it wasn't going to happen, he was so disappointed.  He was having such a hard time adjusting to our new normal, and he was finally excited about something.  He was looking a little like his former sweet self, so you know I didn't have the heart to say no.  After 2 hours of nursing and trying to get the Bug to sleep, we ended up making pancakes while I held the Bug.  Have you ever made pancakes with a four year old?  In the best case scenario it's pretty messy.  Doing it one handed while trying to soothe a fussy baby leaves a mess of epic proportion.  To cap it off, the recipe we made that said it served 6, didn't make nearly that many pancakes.  Poor John didn't get a single one, and had cereal for supper.

These are hard days, but days filled with love.  Some days I'm better than others at finding the joy.  Today was a day when I did a good job.

So, since I couldn't make it past breakfast in documenting my days - here are a lot of really exciting pictures of cereal eating. Enjoy!!









No comments:

Post a Comment